From: Parkinson's Action Network (PAN)
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ACT4PD Newsletter - 5/22/2015

            Parkinson's Action Network's weekly news delivered straight to your inbox.

              5/22/2015
                  Latest from PAN

                  Parkinson's Priority Moves to House Floor
                  Exciting news for the Parkinson’s community! On May 21, 2015, the House Energy & Commerce Committee unanimously passed H.R. 6, the 21st Century Cures Act, which includes a key Parkinson’s priority, the Advancing Research for Neurological Diseases Act (H.R. 292/S. 849). Learn more.

                  Federal Funding Process Begins
                  The House and Senate Appropriations Committees have begun work on their respective Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 appropriations bills. Learn more.

                  Join PAN Moves
                  Moving Day is coming to DC this year and PAN is participating. Join our team, PAN Moves, to raise funds in the fight against Parkinson’s! Learn more.

                  Stay Engaged

                  Ask Congress to Support Data Collection for Parkinson's Disease!
                  Please ask your Members of Congress to support the Advancing Research for Neurological Diseases Act (H.R. 292/S. 849), which would create a data collection system for Parkinson’s and other neurological disorders. Take action!

                  In The News

                  The following news articles are included for your information only and do not represent the views or policies of PAN.

                  Will declining funding stunt scientific discovery in the U.S.?
                  PBS NewsHour | May 17, 2015
                  As federal funding for biomedical research has been declining in real dollars over the past 13 years, getting a grant for many scientists who depend on government money has become more difficult. More.

                  Capturing the emotions of Parkinson's
                  ABC Ballarat | May 20, 2015
                  Loss of facial expression is often a symptom of Parkinson's disease, something country Victorian photographer Chris Crossley is exploring as he battles the degenerative condition. More.

                  Parkinson’s Disease didn’t stop Lowe Johnston, 74, of Austin from finishing the Tough Mudder
                  Austin360 | May 18, 2015
                  Think your adventure racing days are behind you? Maybe not. More.

                  The Michael J. Fox Foundation Announces Five Academic Centers Chosen for 2016 Edmond J. Safra Fellowships in Movement Disorders
                  PR Newswire | May 18, 2015
                  The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research, in collaboration with its longtime supporter and partner The Edmond J. Safra Foundation, has selected four academic centers in the United States and one in Canada to host the inaugural class of the Edmond J. Safra Fellowship in Movement Disorders. More.

                  Accepting Parkinson's
                  NWA Democrat-Gazette | May 18, 2015
                  Being the cockeyed optimist that I am, I never paid much attention to the occasional ribbing I received from good-natured colleagues at Ouachita Baptist University who accused me of shuffling when I walked down the hallways in our mass communications department. More.

                  Fighting Her Husband’s Parkinson’s Disease, One Shirt Button at a Time
                  The Daily Beast | May 19, 2015
                  When Don Horton was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, his inability to button his shirt led his wife Maura to embark on a sartorial quest to help him feel independent. More.

                  Widow starts charity for firefighters with Parkinson’s
                  Miami Herald | May 18, 2015
                  Shortly after marrying John Somerville, his wife Donna noticed a drastic change in his behavior: He was walking differently and his face had turned blank. More.

                  Is Depression a Symptom of Parkinson's Disease?
                  The Atlantic | May 20, 2015
                  A new study suggests depression is an early manifestation of the neurodegenerative disease, not just a byproduct of being chronically ill. More.

                      © 2015 Parkinson's Action Network | 1025 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 1120 | Washington, DC 20005
                      PAN is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization. Contributions to PAN are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Tax ID: #94-3172675.

      Unsubscribe