From: Ruellene and Roger Seymour
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 2:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Rytary

Nancy, I am not surprised that you had the initial results as you
described.  They make sense in view of what I have experienced in my
continuing transition from Sinemet to Rytary.  Some things I've observed:
1. As with Sinemet CR, Rytary takes longer to get into your system. I
suppose that's not technically correct: it starts to release the
levodopa/carbidopa promptly but at lower levels, and continues to do so
gradually. Whereas, with the regular Sinemet, I feel it kicking in after
about a half hour, it takes an hour or slightly longer to feel the same
with Rytary. During this time, while I'm waiting for the Rytary, my
symptoms sometimes get worse.
2. For whatever reason (timing around meals, stress, just having an "off"
day), doses of Rytary may not have much effect. So, for example, if I still
have symptoms (tremors, stiffness, etc) two hours after taking a dose of
Rytary, I'll take a 25/100 pill of regular sinemet.  I may end up with a
little higher level of dyskinesia once the Sinemet has kicked in,
indicating that the Rytary was working, I just wasn't getting the full
effect.
3. I find that the effect of the Rytary fades slowly enough that, when the
tremors start to return, I have enough time to take the next dose and not
have to worry about the symptoms getting a lot worse.  This was not the
case when I was taking Sinemet: the rise and fall were so quick, relatively
speaking, that, once I feel the tremor return, it was too late - the next
dose would not kick in before the tremors got much worse.  I think this is
an advantage in that, again, depending on the day, I can sometimes go 5
hours or more between doses whereas sticking with a strict 4-hour interval
will result in more dyskinesia.
4.  If I go too long between doses of Rytary, and my symptoms are starting
to get pretty bad, I'll take a 25/100 Sinemet along with the regular dose
of Rytary. This gets me back on track quicker.
5.  The Rytary that I take (61.25/245 mg capsules) has the same ratio of
carbidopa/levodopa as Sinemet.  Apparently, the manufacturer thought that,
by making the numbers a little different (245 vs 250 mg), that doses of
Rytary and Sinemet wouldn't be confused.
6. I have sensed, in this group and among other PD groups, a sense of
frustration that patients are not getting the full story on Rytary from
their doctors.  My opinion is that, with Rytary being new and not very
widely prescribed yet, the docs don't have much anecdotal or empirical data
yet and are doing their best to find appropriate regimens for their
patients.  The fact that guidelines for transitioning from Sinemet to
Rytary  (see articles mentioned in Maryse's and my previous posts) have
been published for the medical community speaks, to me, to the fact that
there is a degree of uncertainty and a need to use best educated guesses in
prescribing Rytary.  It's going to be us guinea pigs with our stories that
will help inform the prescribers, so keep sharing.

Lastly, the above descriptions and opinions are intended to represent only
one example, my own, of possible strategies, benefits and pitfalls of
taking Rytary and in no way should they be construed as endorsement or
recommendation for anyone else to make like changes without consulting
their personal physicians.

All the best.

Roger