Dear subscribers to the list-servs of CASLL, CASDW, CSSR, and CWCA,

 I invite your participation in a national survey of members of the field of writing studies in Canada. This study is doctoral research. My research, entitled *Writing Studies in Canada: A People’s History*, aims to define writing studies as a field in Canada as understood by the people who work in it. This survey is informed by aspects of my experience as a student and a professional in this field.

 There are four sections containing 34 questions. The first two sections include closed questions that gather demographic data and information about institutional locations. The third section includes open questions that invite narrative responses about identity. The fourth section includes open questions about your experience. The survey will take a minimum of 30 minutes to complete, and most of the time will be devoted to the open questions. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your answers and return to the survey; I appreciate the investment of time and energy required to complete it. You can choose not to answer any question.

 As the aim of this study is to discern a national picture of the field of writing studies, the response rate profoundly affects the comprehensiveness, scope, and significance of the data. The deadline for completion of the survey is Monday, September 14, 2015. If the survey is completed, it will be assumed that consent has been given. You can access the survey by clicking the link at the end of this letter.

 Your participation is completely voluntary and involves minimal risk. Anonymity is guaranteed. No names or contact information will be reported, and identification will not be possible as data is aggregated across institutions and across the data set. Care will be taken to ensure that narratives are shared as composites, rather than as representatives of single individuals. If you decide to participate, you are free to withdraw at any time. Only the researchers have access to the data, which is secured by password. You can choose to provide contact information to request a summary of the results.

 The project is being conducted as doctoral research at the University of British Columbia through the Interdisciplinary Studies Graduate Program. The primary investigator is my supervisor, Dr. Judy Segal (email: [[log in to unmask]](mailto:[log in to unmask]), telephone: 604-822-5652). As the co-investigator, I can be contacted at [[log in to unmask]](mailto:[log in to unmask]) or by telephone at 778-899-1045 if you have any questions about the research. If you have any concerns or complaints about your rights as a research participant and/or your experiences while participating in this study, contact the Research Participant Complaint Line in the UBC Office of Research Ethics at 604-822-8598 or if long distance, e-mail [[log in to unmask]](mailto:[log in to unmask]) or call toll free 1-877-822-8598.

 You can access the survey by clicking the following link:

 <http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/writing-studies-survey/writing-studies-survey/?code=>

 Dana Landry

 Doctoral Candidate, ISGP UBC

 This link is uniquely tied to this survey and your email address. Please do not forward this message.