Hi All,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our first SOCAAR Seminar for 2015-16.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015, 3 – 4 PM
200 College Street – WB407

Investigating the Role of Transportation Models in Epidemiologic Studies of Traffic Related Air Pollution and Health Effects

Dr. Marianne Hatzopoulou
Associate Professor
Civil Engineering
University of Toronto

From land-use regression to dispersion modeling, this talk explores the development of air pollution exposure surfaces for the City Montreal with a particular emphasis on the role of transportation and emission models in assigning a measure of exposure to traffic-related air pollution. We start by comparing the distribution of the spatial estimates of NO2 derived from a transportation/emissions model, a land-use regression model, and a dispersion model. We investigate the reasons behind the agreement and disagreement between these measures in the context of the land-use and built environment of Montreal. We then compare estimates of health risk using these different exposure estimates relying on two case-control studies of breast and prostate cancer. We ask the question: Under which conditions could transportation models replace expensive monitoring techniques and computationally intensive atmospheric dispersion modelling?

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

Instructions on how to connect:

Using your web-browser or smartphone
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/155379597

or  call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (647) 497-9353
Access Code: 155-379-597

Meeting ID: 155-379-597

Kind Regards,

Natalie Leung |Financial and Administrative Assistant|
|Southern Ontario Centre for Atmospheric Aerosol Research|University of Toronto|
|200 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5S 3E5|
|P 416 978 5932|[log in to unmask]|
|www.socaar.utoronto.ca|