I'd encourage people to comment on the article to further the conversation. University Affairs has a pretty broad readership and offers a good forum for such discussions.

Andrea

On Oct 15, 2015, at 10:40 PM, Natasha Artemeva <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Actually, I do not think so...

Natasha
--
Natasha Artemeva, PhD,
Associate Professor
School of Linguistics and Language Studies
Carleton University, Ottawa, ON,Canada, K1S 5B6
Tel. +1 (613) 520-2600 ext. 7452; Fax +(613) 520-6641

On Oct 15, 2015, at 10:30 PM, Kathryn Alexander <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I can agree with your point Natasha

I didn't read the report (obviously) but do you think the article might open the door for a better conversation and point to the research that is out there?

Kathryn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Natasha Artemeva" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 4:08:42 PM
Subject: Re: Article on Writing Assignments in University Affairs

Yes, Kathryn (and nice to converse again:-)

What unsettles me is that the study the report is based on has been funded --and we all know how few studies are being funded these days--and resulted in such a shallow and uninformed report. And its suggestions are not going to be useful, and there is a ton of literature that our colleagues have produced, which shows that the suggestions the report provides do not address the actual problem. And, as someone, who designed and taught in an engineering communication program, I'd like to note that stand alone "writing courses" that are not taught or co-taught within disciplines are not very helpful either...

I agree that it's depressing.

Natasha