Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our next seminar:

Wednesday, November 4, 2015
 3 - 4 PM
200 College Street - WB407

Exploring the connections between aerosols and clouds in the high Arctic summer

Julia Burkart
Post Doctoral Fellow

Dept. of Chemistry
University of Toronto

Megan Willis
PhD Student

Dept. of Chemistry
University of Toronto

The Arctic is a complex and poorly understood aerosol environment, impacted by strong anthropogenic contributions during winter months and by regional sources in cleaner summer months. With melting sea-ice it is likely that the influence from the ocean on the high Arctic atmosphere will increase. Using results from NETCARE summer aircraft campaign, this talk will explore the interactions of oceanic aerosol sources with particles and clouds in the pristine summertime Arctic. Extensive measurements of trace gases, aerosol and cloud properties were carried out in July 2014 from Resolute Bay, Nunavut near the marginal ice zone in Lancaster Sound. Frequent observations of small particles suggest that new particle formation occurred primarily in pristine air. These small particles were observed to grow into the cloud condensation nuclei active size range, with aerosol composition indicating the influence of marine biogenic sources. Low-level clouds were common and their properties are influenced by these particles originating from local sources, thereby potentially affecting the radiation balance in the summertime Arctic.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

1.  Please join my meeting.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/562642165

2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.  Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (647) 497-9372
Access Code: 562-642-165

Meeting ID: 562-642-165