I just learned that this cancer drug has had dramatic and promising results for 10 out of 12  people in a  clinical trial for late stage Parkinson’s disease;

This is great news.  However, $10,000 a year would be a stretch for a retired schoolteacher like me, but the $10,000 a month cost is impossible.

I understand that Fernando Pagan of the Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington DC team who conducted this trial is in discussions with  Novartis hoping that participants  can be offered continued treatment at a reduced on a compassionate basis through a procedure your company already has to help people with cancer afford their medication.

How about the million or so Americans with PD getting their lives back?  Nilotinib has  already been developed.  Should it really cost $10,000 a month?   Wouldn’t Novartis still make a handsome profit if all the people with Parkinson’s disease could actually buy it?

What a terrible shame if a cure or improved treatment is available, but unaffordable!

Rayilyn Brown
Past Director AZNPF