From: Bernie Sanders
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 9:08 AM
To: Rayilyn Brown
Subject: Why I'm rejecting Martin Shkreli's money

When prescription drug price gouger Martin Shkreli tried to donate $2,700 to our campaign to get a meeting with me, I donated his money to an AIDS clinic. Now I'm asking you to join our fight against corporate greed by making your own contribution of $25.66 — the average contribution we've received this past week.

Rayilyn -

A Wall Street hedge fund manager named Martin Shkreli decided that he could make a lot of money off a life-saving drug for AIDS patients and other sick people by jacking the price from $13.50 per tablet to $750. Sick people be damned.

I started a congressional investigation into his price gouging. Shkreli promised to reduce the price, though he hasn't done so yet.

But Martin Shkreli was angry. He didn't like that I criticized him, so he tried to get a private meeting with me. And he thought the best way to do that was by donating $2,700 to our campaign.

That may be how other campaigns work. Not ours. We are taking Martin Shkreli's $2,700 donation and are giving it straight to an AIDS clinic in Washington, DC.

Now I'm turning to you, Rayilyn, for help. I don't need money from people like Martin Shkreli and the billionaire class. I need you.

Make a contribution of $25.66 — the average contribution we've received this past week — to our campaign to join the fight against corporate greed. Together, we can show Martin Shkreli and the billionaire class that they can't have it all.

The economic and political systems of this country are stacked against ordinary Americans. The rich get richer and use their wealth to buy elections and legislation.

Saying to Wall Street and the drug companies and the rest of the billionaire class, "please, do the right thing" while taking their money to fund your campaign is both naive and ultimately ineffective.

If we’re serious about creating jobs and health care for all, and addressing climate change and the needs of our children and the elderly, we must be serious about campaign finance reform.

So far we've funded our campaign with more than 1.3 million contributions of about $30 a piece. Small contributions of whatever regular folks can afford will win the fight against corporate greed and beat the influence of oligarchs like Martin Shkreli.

Say you stand with me in the fight against corporate greed: Please make a contribution of $25.66 — the average contribution we've received this past week — to our campaign now.

When people come together, anything is possible. And together, we can take our country back from the billionaire class.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

Paid for by Bernie 2016

PO Box 905 - Burlington VT 05402 United States - (855) 4-BERNIE

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] If you need to update or change your information or email address, click here to update your info. Email is one of the most important tools we have to reach supporters like you, but you can let us know if you'd like to receive fewer emails. We'd hate to see you go, but if you need to do so, click here to unsubscribe. Stand against the powerful special interests who are systematically buying our Congress and have their sights set on the presidency by contributing to Bernie here.