*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our next seminar:

Wednesday, December 2, 2015
 3 - 4 PM
200 College Street – WB407

Measurement and Modeling of Ultrafine Particles in California

Michael J. Kleeman
Professor
UC Davis

Ultrafine particles (Dp < 100nm) are ubiquitous in the atmosphere since they are emitted from all sources of combustion. Toxicological studies have consistently found that ultrafine particles are potentially harmful but epidemiological studies have only recently been able to detect associations between ultrafine particles and negative public health effects. Part of the difficulty finding effects in epidemiological studies may be related to the choice of population exposure metrics used in previous studies. In this presentation we will review the different choices for calculating exposure to ultrafine particles (number, surface area, mass) and show that population exposure to PM0.1 (mass of particles with Dp < 100nm) can be estimated through a combination of measurements and model calculations. Results will be reviewed from numerous measurement studies throughout California to infer the apparent toxicity or primary vs. secondary PM0.1 components. Predictions of PM0.1 chemical composition and source contributions will be compared to measurements during field studies spanning a 10 year period. Calculated population exposure to PM0.1 chemical components and sources over this decade will then be used in an epidemiological study to show that associations between mortality and PM0.1 are potentially even stronger than associations between mortality and PM2.5.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

1.  Please join my meeting.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/251318117

2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.  Or, call in using your telephone.
Dial +1 (647) 497-9351
Access Code: 251-318-117
Meeting ID: 251-318-117