Very interesting. Does this relate somehow to inosine, which affects urate
levels? And might this have something to do with how dogs pick up the smell
of PD?

I swear, for the last year or so, I've been aware of an ammonia smelll that
seems to emanate from me. I wonder if this smell masks other odors,
resulting in the anosmia experienced by many of us PD sufferers.

Could PD be a  urea cycle disorder?

Kathleen

From the University of Rochester, here is something on ammonia testing.

Link:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=167&ContentID=ammonia
Ammonia Does this test have other names?

Blood ammonia test, NH3
What is this test?

This test checks the level of ammonia in your blood. The test helps find
out why you may have changes in consciousness and also helps diagnose a
liver disease called hepatic encephalopathy. This disease affects how your
brain works, because of excess toxins, or poisons, in your body.

Your liver may not work properly if you have high levels of ammonia in your
blood. Ammonia is a chemical made by bacteria in your intestines and your
body's cells while you process protein. Your body treats ammonia as a waste
product. It turns it into an amino acid called glutamine and a chemical
compound called urea. Your bloodstream moves the urea to your kidneys,
where it is eliminated in your urine.

But ammonia will build up in your body if you can't get rid of urea. This
can sometimes happen if you have kidney or liver failure. It can also
happen if you have a urea cycle disorder, a genetic disorder that means
your body is missing one of the enzymes that remove ammonia from the blood.
The ammonia blood test is the gold standard for diagnosing urea cycle
disorders.