From: Valenze, Virginia
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 8:19 AM
To: Rayilyn Brown
Subject: RE: Your Query Regarding Nilotinib Study

Dear Ms. Brown,

Thank you for sharing your additional thoughts, and my apologies for the delay in response.  We understand patients’ concerns about being able to afford medications and do have programs to help.

Let me share a little more background that may be of interest to you.  When setting the price of our medicines, we consider several factors including the benefits they bring to patients, their positive impact on other healthcare costs and the investments needed for continued innovation in the fight against cancer.  Investment in new medicines is a significant area of focus for us.  In fact, we spent over $9 billion dollars in Research & Development across all Novartis companies in 2014.

We also offer significant patient assistance programs for approved indications. The program provides our medicines for free or at a reduced cost to those who can’t afford them. Information about this can be found at Patient Assistance Now Oncology site www.oncologyaccessnow.com or by calling 1-800-282-7630.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.  We do take this feedback seriously and are committed to working across the healthcare system to ensure that patients have access to medicines and that future innovative medicines are affordable.

Best,

Ginny Valenze

Virginia A. Valenze

Director, Advocacy & Alliance Development

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

One Health Plaza

Building 200, Room 440

East Hanover, NJ 07936-1080