I  agree, Kathleen

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Cochran
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: blood test for PD invented

In every article I've ever seen about biomarkers, there's text like this
(from the article Ray posted):

"So if you knew earlier that this was happening you might be able to do
something about it, particularly in the future when maybe better treatments
might become available."

Seems to me the helpfulness of biomarkers is pretty seriously limited by
the absence of treatments that will slow or reverse disease progression.
Under present conditions, biomarkers might be seen as stealing a few years
of blissful ignorance, when you don't yet know you have this disease.

Or insurance companies might find a better way to deny coverage, or
potential employers might choose not to hire someone known to be headed for
PD.

If someone can make a case for the value to patients of biomarkers without
better treatment, I would love to hear it.

Kathleen