Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our Seminar for November:

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

2 – 3 PM
200 College Street,
WB 407

Impacts assessment to support policy-making across scales: regional implications of global mercury policy

Amanda Giang

PhD Candidate in the Institute for Data, Systems and Society

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

How can we assess the regional impacts of global environmental policy? We explore this question for mercury, a local-to-global toxic pollutant recently targeted by a global environmental treaty (UN Minamata Convention). Evaluating whether global policy can effectively reduce mercury inputs into vulnerable ecosystems is difficult due to uncertainty in the path from international treaty to human exposure and impacts. Combining approaches from air quality modelling and social science, we explore the range of environmental and human health impacts that may be consistent with the Minamata Convention for the Great Lakes region, given uncertainty in social, technological, and natural systems. We discuss how these results can inform policy design, monitoring of policy compliance and effectiveness, and more generally, adaptive governance of cross-scale atmospheric pollutants.

1.  Please join my meeting.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/226999565

2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.  Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (647) 497-9353
Access Code: 226-999-565

Meeting ID: 226-999-565

GoToMeeting®
Online Meetings Made Easy®

Not at your computer? Click the link to join this meeting from your iPhone®, iPad®, Android® or Windows Phone® device via the GoToMeeting app.