Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our Seminar for January 2017:

Wednesday January 18, 2017

2 – 3 PM
200 College Street,
WB 407

The Canadian Urban Environmental Health Research Consortium – CANUE

Dr. Jeffrey R Brook

Adjunct Professor,

Dept. of Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry

Environmental & Occupational Health, Dalla Lana School of Public Health

University of Toronto

and

Processes Research Section, Air Quality Research Division,

Environment and Climate Change Canada

With more than 80 per cent of Canada’s population living in cities and the urbanized proportion of the global population growing dramatically, there is a need to learn how to design and modify cities to improve, not degrade, population health. CANUE (www.canue.ca) has recently been established at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health to undertake environmental health research so policy-makers and urban and regional planners can make evidence-based decisions to help address this challenge, including in the context of climate change.  A key aspect of CANUE’s research is to compile and/or derive standardized environmental exposure data about air quality, green spaces, walkability, noise, climate and extreme weather and other aspects of the urban/suburban environment for linking to human health research platforms.  These exposures or characteristics of urban form have separately been linked to health impacts or benefits.  However, ultimately to optimize public health, it is necessary to assess their combined effect in order to consider the trade-offs that arise as urban/suburban plans (e.g., land-use and transportation) are developed.  The purpose of this presentation is to provide an overview CANUE and its key strategic directions, which are being refined and implemented based upon a national workshop held in Dec. 2016.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/220153677

You can also dial in using your phone.
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353

Access Code: 220-153-677