Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our Seminar for May:
Monday, May 29, 2017
3 - 4 PM
200 College Street, WB 407

In Search of Fresh Air: Characterizing the Sources and Impacts of Air Pollution in Urban Areas

Dr. Naomi Zimmerman
Postdoctoral Research Associate

Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Carnegie Mellon University
Abstract: Urban air pollution comprises a complex mixture of both regionally transported pollutants and pollutants emitted from local sources. Understanding the sources and behaviour of urban air pollutants is crucial for protecting the health of those living in densely populated urban areas and for minimizing the release of climate-forcing agents into the atmosphere. Urban air pollution measurements have typically relied on a small number of widely separated regulatory monitoring sites to assess population-scale exposure. However, air pollutant concentrations may exhibit significant spatial variability depending on local sources and features of the built environment, which may be poorly captured by the existing monitoring regime.
In this seminar, I will discuss my work on characterizing urban spatial and temporal pollution gradients on the sub-km scale in Pittsburgh, PA. As part of this work, a network of 12 air quality monitoring stations has been deployed for one year of monitoring beginning July 2016 at sites along an urban-rural transect and in downtown urban locations with a range of traffic, restaurant and tall building densities. These measurements have been supplemented with rigorous mobile monitoring to increase spatial resolution. Additionally, the validity and reliability of increasingly popular low-cost sensors will be discussed within the context of Pittsburgh air quality monitoring programs.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the web-viewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

SOCAAR Seminar - Dr. Naomi Zimmerman
Mon, May 29, 2017 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EDT

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/687395397

You can also dial in using your phone.