Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our first Seminar for 2017-2018:

Wednesday November 1, 2017

3:00PM – 4:00PM
200 College Street,
WB 407

Oxidative Stress: a Merged Toxic Pathway for Environmental Matrices

Prof. Hui Peng

Assistant Professor,

Department of Chemistry

University of Toronto

Oxidative stress has been suggested to be the primary toxic pathway of air particulate matter (PM) to cause cardiovascular disease and other adverse effects. In this talk, oxidative stress was demonstrated as the primary toxic pathway for both disinfection by-products (DBPs) in drinking water, and oil sands-processed water (OPSW). To this end, a hybrid platform was established in our group to identify toxic components and their modes of action (MOA) from these critical environmental matrices. High-throughput and reproducible in vitro cell reporter system was used to determine the Nrf2-mediated oxidative stress response from environmental mixtures. Then, Effect-Directed Analysis (EDA) and chemical probe, combined with untargeted chemical analysis, were used  accordingly to identify toxic components. Specifically, more than 600 DBPs were identified in the drinking water after disinfection and direct reaction with cysteine was elucidated as the primary pathway for DBPs to cause oxidative stress. Accordingly, a biotin/cysteine chemical probe was synthesized to identify toxic DBPs. For OSPW whose oxidative stress may primarily be caused by indirect pathways, EDA combined with untargeted chemical analysis was used to identify hydroxylated aldehydes as the primary toxic components. Studies regarding PM samples are still ongoing, and preliminary data shown that chemical probe is an efficient approach to identify toxic components (i.e. quinone) in PM samples. Thus, our hybrid platform may provide a versatile and accessible approach in elucidating the oxidative stress promoting components in a variety of environmental matrices.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/432885821

You can also dial in using your phone.

Canada: +1 (647) 497-9376

Access Code: 432-885-821

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

Kind Regards,

Natalie Leung

Financial and Administrative Assistant | Southern Ontario Centre for Atmospheric Aerosol Research, University of Toronto
www.socaar.utoronto.ca

Program Coordinator | Collaborative Program in Engineering Education, University of Toronto
www.uoft.me/EngEd

200 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5S 3E5