Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our Seminar for March:
Wednesday, March 28, 2018
3 - 4 PM
200 College Street, WB 407

Understanding Relevant Emissions and Atmospheric Formation Processes for Toxic Air Pollutants

Robert Harley
Professor

Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of California, Berkeley

Abstract: The environment in cities around the world is degraded by gaseous and particle-phase air pollutants that adversely affect human health. Some pollutants of concern such as benzene and diesel particulate matter are directly emitted from sources and are not very reactive in the atmosphere. More complex problems involve pollutants such as formaldehyde where some fraction of the atmospheric burden results from photochemical reaction processes. In such cases, the relative importance of direct emissions versus in situ atmospheric formation is unclear and varies seasonally. Furthermore relevant sources and precursor compounds may be unclear. In this talk, I will describe the use of adjoint methods within atmospheric chemistry and transport models to identify, quantify, and rank sources and processes responsible for air pollution at urban receptors that are heavily affected by air pollution. The adjoint approach is complementary to traditional analytical methods that study the effects of a few key model inputs or parameters on all model outputs.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the web-viewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

SOCAAR Seminar - Robert Harley
Wed, March 28, 2018 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/499019605

You can also dial in using your phone.