Hi,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our second seminar for May 2018:

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

12:00 – 1:00 PM
200 College Street,
WB 407

Modeling Air Pollution Exposures and Health Effects from a Large Wildfire in California
Dr. Michael Jerrett

Professor & Chair

University of California, Los Angeles

Abstract: We investigated the health effects associated with fine particulate matter and ozone during a long-lived wildfire in northern California in the summer of 2008.  Using a novel spatiotemporal exposure model that combined information from satellite data, chemical transport models, and ground observations, we found that hospitalization and emergency department visits for asthma were significantly associated with PM2.5 from the wildfire.  Asthma hospitalizations (RR=1.08 (95% CI 1.04, 1.11) per 10 µg/m3 increase of PM2.5) and visits (RR = 1.20 (95% CI: 1.09, 1.34) per 10 µg/m3 increase) were significantly associated with PM2.5 during the fires, but not in the periods before and after the fires. These effects were more pronounced in women compared to men, and adults compared to children and the elderly.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the web-viewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone. If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

SOCAAR Seminar - Michael Jerrett
Tue, May 8, 2018 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/507737021

You can also dial in using your phone.