Anyway, that's a diversion. A Wikipedia page might help improve the online profile of Inkshed.

Sincerely,

Kathy Chung

--
Kathy K.Y. Chung, PhD | Research Associate
Records of Early English Drama, University of Toronto
http://reed.utoronto.ca
https://ereed.library.utoronto.ca

On 2018-10-12 2:40 PM, Russell Hunt wrote:

It appears that there are still 200+ people on the CASLL-L list, even though for all practical purposes it's been rendered inactive. This email is directed to those who still have some interest in keeping the Inkshed legacy alive. I'd thought about trying to weed out the list, so as not to annoy those who don't, but I didn't want to make the judgments myself. Who knows who might care, and who might not? If this isn't of any interest to you, stop reading here: I haven't had time to write a short explanation.

Here's the reason I'm writing this one. Try Googling Inkshed, or going directly to inkshed.ca. No, go ahead and do it now. I'll wait.

. . .

I have no idea, obviously, why someone selling shoes glommed onto inkshed.ca as soon as we abandoned it -- but one consequence is that someone trying to learn about Inkshed is going to find it almost impossible. Even though, thanks to Margaret, the archive of Inkshed Newsletters is accessible on the CASDW site, it's apparently not been found by the Google webcrawlers, so doesn't come up on a search, and Inkshed’s presence isn’t obvious on the main CASDW site. Further, the archive of this list, which I think is a very important resource, is only available if you know it's there (and know you're looking for CASLL-L (CASLL alone -- or the usual misspelling, CASSL -- won't do it).

I've become aware of all this because I've been asked for assistance by someone working on an extensive piece about the relationship between the origins of Inkshed and the "social turn" in composition and rhetoric studies in the US in the mid-eighties. Part of the conclusion is that we were way ahead of the game. Eager to help, I tried -- unsuccessfully -- to find some of the Inkshed materials online to straighten out some of the chronology for myself.

I'm a little concerned that this may just be my lack of competence, and it's a lot easier to find out about Inkshed than I think. So I'd love to have my impression corrected.

If not, I'm going to explore ways to make this material more readily accessible. Anyone with suggestions about doing that?

One of the first things I'm working on is how to make the archives of this list more obvious. I don't know how long the University of Toronto is going to be willing, or able, to host it, so if I can find a permanent home for it I'd be happier. I'm working on the same problem with the STLHE-L list, presently hosted at UNB. Suggestions about that would be welcome, as well.

And finally, because St. Thomas has just reconfigured their Web site, I no longer seem to have access to the files I had, which I think included rather more information about the conferences than is currently on the CASDW site. Or to my own personal Web site at STU. I'm working on that these days, too.

-- Russ

Russ Hunt

Professor Emeritus of English

St. Thomas University

people.stu.ca/~hunt

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To leave the list, send a SIGNOFF CASLL-L command to [log in to unmask] or, if you experience difficulties, write to Russ Hunt at [log in to unmask]