Terribly sorry to hear of David's death, of which, having been off email for a number of days, I learned only this afternoon. He was always a good friend, and active supporter of the EDAM project at the Medieval Institute. His scholarship was so important for all of us working in early drama. I have so many vivid memories of David, of his willingness to be helpful to scholars, including myself, of his wisdom, and his friendship.

Clifford Davidson

From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Dr H M Ostovich <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 12:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: In Memoriam, David Bevington

Milla, would you like a statement from the Revels Plays General editors?  That is , Richard Dutton, Alison Findlay, and me?

Best
Helen

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 3:40 AM Riggio, Milla C. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am posting this tribute for Max Harris who was unable to post it.

"As well as being a first-class scholar, David was one of the kindest, humblest, and most generous of men. I count myself very blessed to have known him as a good friend. I remember once hearing him give a 75-minute talk to a mixed audience of scholars and students on what might be learned about Shakespeare's life from his plays. He spoke without notes, quoting fluently from twenty or more plays from memory, and with a liveliness of presentation that is rare among scholars. We were gripped throughout. But his brilliance never kept him from showing an informed and generous interest in others' work. I am indebted to him for kind words on the covers of two of my books, as well as for several glowing reference letters for fellowships, etc. But it as a friend that I remember him best. We will miss him."

Max R Harris