REED-L users are encouraged to contribute to or to pass along news of the following project based at Stanford University and funded by the NEH:

From: Johannes Junge Ruhland <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 22 November 2019 20:46

The Global Medieval Sourcebook is an open-access online resource which provides students and scholars access to medieval writings from a wide array of languages, traditions, places and periods in new English translations. The aim of the GMS is to provide a platform for short translations of non-canonical works that might otherwise remain unpublished. These texts often make excellent teaching material, and therefore our project not only presents texts but contextualises them with accessible introductions and recommendations for further reading. Translations are presented alongside the text in its original language, and high-resolution digitisations of the medieval source are embedded where possible. To explore our prototype, please visit https://sourcebook.stanford.edu/.

We currently have more than one hundred texts in the pipeline in almost a dozen languages, but are working to expand our collection of texts from currently underrepresented regions and languages. We invite scholars (including graduate students) to contribute to the project by volunteering completed translations or proposing to undertake (or polish!) new ones. Translators are also responsible for producing a brief, encyclopedia-style introduction for each text they contribute. Each text will have a stable URL and be reviewed by a scholar in the field.

We welcome proposals of untranslated texts from any part of the world between 600 and 1600 CE, the only requirement being that they have a textual (rather than oral) transmission during this period. Genres of particular interest to the GMS include prayers, love songs, didactic works, short dramatic works, short narratives of any kind, philosophical dialogues, historical accounts of cross-cultural interactions, cosmography, interactions with the history or cultures of Greco-Roman Antiquity, and humour.

Please forward this email widely! If you are interested in contributing or have further questions about the project, please write to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

I will usually deal with Global Medieval Sourcebook correspondence on Mondays and Thursdays. Please bear with me in the meantime.

  *   Enter the Sourcebook<https://sourcebook.stanford.edu/>

Johannes Junge Ruhland
PhD candidate in French
Stanford University