Thanks to Anne Lancashire and Michael Winkelman for leads on what the "staige plaie" reference in More's Richard III was all about. The Warnicke article I found at JSTOR. I especially needed that correction to my misapprehension: More was not referring to some skit in which a sultan (character) was really a shoemaker (character)--which is good comedic stuff for later decades and centuries--but a civilian shoemaker acting in the role of the sultan in a morality play who would not want anyone in the audience to call him by his actual name.

I won't be doing much explaining of More's influences (not just the miracle plays but Latin dramatists too) as my work is about Hall's Chronicle. Thus I am more interested in the interplay of the two texts, with reference to some Latin version passages that Hall omitted (he seems not to have been aware of More's Latin version) and differences in wording. Responsibility for many variants could be placed on Hall's publisher, Richard Grafton, who was first to include More's history in his prose continuation of Hardyng's metrical chronicle (1543), and of course on typesetters. But a footnote explaining More's connection to miracle plays he may even have acted in will catch some interest.

Cheers,
Al Magary
Hall's Chronicle Project