Just an aside on scaffolds.  In my youth I worked for a builder in
Massachusetts, and learned that the structures builders erect on the
outsides of buildings to facilitate work, structures that I (a
midwesterner) called scaffolding, they called staging.  I wonder how old,
and how transatlantic, these usages might be.

Bill Ingram