Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announced next Seminar.

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

3:00 – 4:00PM

Matthew Cooper
Physical Science Officer

Environment and Climate Change Canada

Observing global fine-scale changes in ambient NO2 during COVID-19 lockdowns using satellites

Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is an important contributor to air pollution with serious health effects. Many reports have shown that NO2 concentrations decreased in 2020 during COVID-19 lockdowns, but these studies are limited by the availability of air quality monitoring globally. In this talk, I will show how we use satellite observations to infer global fine resolution (~1km) ground-level NO2 concentrations. Using these observations, we find that mean NO2 concentrations are ~30% lower in countries with strict COVID-19 lockdowns than in those without. I will also present case studies that compare lockdown-driven changes to long-term NO2 trends, and show how the sensitivity of NO2 to lockdowns varied across cities, countries, and emissions sectors.

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Or call in (audio only)

+1 647-794-1609,,612523657#   Canada, Toronto

Phone Conference ID: 612 523 657#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | [log in to unmask]&messageId=0&language=en-US" target="_blank"> Meeting options