Gruesome!! But we have to remember that they used to roast people tied to a spit (or stake) if the victims were of the opposite religious persuasion…so the idea of burning alive, publicly, was not unknown. Foxe’s Acts and Monuments contains numerous grisly descriptions.

Cheers!
Alan Somerset

From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Tanya Hagen
Sent: October 21, 2022 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: REED This! John A. Geck's ‘A great prophanacion made both of day & place’: Animal Cruelty as Performance?

You don't often get email from [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
REED This! In the latest instalment of the Cambridgeshire blog series, John A. Geck discusses one of the collection's more unusual records -- an instance of cat immolation  --  and considers possible motives for the event. Read more about it here:

https://reedproject.blog/2022/10/21/a-great-prophanacion-made-both-of-day-place-animal-cruelty-as-performance/
[https://reedprojectblog.files.wordpress.com/2022/10/078052-1.jpg]<https://reedproject.blog/2022/10/21/a-great-prophanacion-made-both-of-day-place-animal-cruelty-as-performance/>
‘A great prophanacion made both of day & place’: Animal Cruelty as Performance?<https://reedproject.blog/2022/10/21/a-great-prophanacion-made-both-of-day-place-animal-cruelty-as-performance/>
CW: The following post discusses animal cruelty & death (cat) In preparing the REED: Cambridgeshire records, I was drawn to an event that demanded explanation beyond what the record provided. T…
reedproject.blog

John A. Geck is Associate Professor in the Department of English at the Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada. His research focuses on transmissions of high and low culture in later medieval and early modern England, including romance, hagiography, and drama. He is the editor of REED Cambridgeshire.