Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announced our first In-Person (also available online) Seminar in 2.5 years!!

Please see the below information for our First Speaker in our 2022-2023 Series.

Prof. Meredith Franklin

Associate Professor

Department of Statistical Sciences
School of the Environment
University of Toronto

Title: Non-tailpipe particles: sampling, exposure models, and health effects

Abstract:

Traffic-derived air pollution comprises of a mixture of gaseous pollutants and particulate matter (PM) from exhaust (tailpipe) as well as non-exhaust (non-tailpipe) emissions. Non-tailpipe emissions mainly arise from mechanical abrasion of brakes and tires, erosion of road surfaces and resuspension of a mixture of dust that accumulates on road surfaces. Most epidemiological and experimental research into traffic-related pollution focuses on tailpipe exposures, with far less attention paid to non-tailpipe exposures despite the fact that it is an important source of toxic metals in urban atmospheres. We present results of the Intra-Community Variability study, a spatially intensive sampling campaign of PM concentrations at multiple size fractions (quasi-ultrafine, accumulation mode and coarse) collected and analyzed for chemical speciation at over 220 locations across Southern California. With a focus on non-tailpipe metal tracers, we further developed spatiotemporal land use regression models to generate exposures with which we conducted a health effects study of the association of children’s lung function.

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the meeting

Meeting ID: 237 702 617 152
Passcode: G84QEb

Download Teams | Join on the web

Or call in (audio only)

+1 647-794-1609,,409051224#   Canada, Toronto

Phone Conference ID: 409 051 224#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | [log in to unmask]&messageId=0&language=en-US" target="_blank"> Meeting options