Hi Everyone,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce our next SOCAAR Seminar:

Wednesday, February 1, 2023
3:00PM - 4:00PM EDT

Prof. María-Teresa Pay-Pérez
Associate Professor

Department of Genetic, Microbiology and Statistics

University of Barcelona

Visiting Professor

SOCAAR – Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry

University of Toronto

Ozone source apportionment over Europe

It is well established that in Europe, high O3 concentrations are most pronounced in southern/Mediterranean countries due to the more favorable climatological conditions for its formation. However, the contribution of the different sources of precursors to O3 formation within each country relative to the imported (regional and hemispheric) O3 is poorly quantified. This lack of quantitative knowledge prevents local authorities from effectively designing plans that reduce the exceedances of the O3 target value set by the European Air Quality Directive. O3 source attribution is a challenge because the concentration at each location and time results not only from local biogenic and anthropogenic precursors, but also from the transport of O3 and precursors from neighboring regions, O3 regional and hemispheric transport and stratospheric O3 injections.

This seminar presents the results of applying a source-oriented source apportionment method to provide an estimation of the contribution of the largest NOx national sectors to peak O3 events in southwestern Europe (targeting Spain) relative to the contribution of imported (regional and hemispheric) O3. We show, for the first time, that imported O3 is the largest input to the ground-level O3 concentration in Spain, accounting for 46 %–68 % of the daily mean O3 concentration during exceedances of the European target value. However, during stagnant conditions, the local anthropogenic precursors control the O3 peaks in areas downwind of the main urban and industrial regions (up to 40 % in hourly peaks). We also show that ground-level O3 concentrations are strongly affected by vertical mixing of O3-rich layers present in the free troposphere. Our results show O3 source apportionment to be an essential analysis prior to the design of O3 mitigation plans in any non-attainment area. Achieving the European O3 objectives in southern Europe requires not only ad hoc local actions but also decided national and European-wide strategies.

Join us

In Person:  200 College Street - Wallberg Building -  Room 407

Or

Online: Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the meeting

Meeting ID: 278 486 268 190
Passcode: weFv4C

Download Teams | Join on the web

Or call in (audio only)

+1 647-794-1609,,45383385#   Canada, Toronto

Phone Conference ID: 453 833 85#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | [log in to unmask]&messageId=0&language=en-US" target="_blank"> Meeting options