I am pleased to share news of these important new online research resources from Prof. Judith Bennett....

________________________________
From: Judith Bennett <[log in to unmask]

I am to happy to report that Christopher Whittick and I have placed online five Excel spreadsheets on Coventry's extraordinary records from the 1520s:

1. Householders described in the exceptionally detailed Military Survey of 1522.

2. Households described in the 1523 "Enumeration" of the city which named all householders (men, widows, and singlewomen) and counted wives, servants, apprentices, lodgers, and children.

3. Householders assessed and taxed in the 1524 Subsidy.

4. Householders assessed and taxed in the 1525 Subsidy.

5. A final spreadsheet tracing links among these households, working out from the 1523 Enumeration to households in the earlier Muster and the two later Subsidies.

The five spreadsheets are accompanied by extensive Editorial Notes. The project is related to Mary H.M. Hulton's printed edition of all four returns in Coventry and its People in the 1520s (Dugdale Society, 38, 1999), but they improve on that edition in three ways: they are more accurate; they are searchable; and they link persons named in the Military Survey and Subsidies to householders named in the Enumeration.

We have made these fully available to the public through the Carolina Digital Repository at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and they can be reached at this stable DOI: https://doi.org/10.17615/xvbb-n850.  We hope these resources will re-ignite interest in Coventry's extraordinary sources for the early 1520s.

Please use the spreadsheets--if you like and however you like. Also, please tell your colleagues, users, and students about their availability.

--
Judith M. Bennett
Professor Emerita, UNC-Chapel Hill (2005) and USoCal (2013)