Dear Friends,

We are now several months into our second year, and it has been
quite disappointing: there's been almost no discussion at all.
I am reluctant to prime the pump to any large degree, because
my previous efforts to start discussion have not been very successful!

Do we have anything to say to one another about any of the topics
I mention in my introductory letter? Should we simply shut down?
In the latter case, should we shut down for a little while and
try to start again at some more propitious future date?  Perhaps we
should stay in operation just as a vehicle for distributing announcements.

Please tell me what you think we should do. If there are no replies,
I'll ask the University postmaster to shut down REED-L early in
December. If people want to stay in operation, I think I will ask
the postmaster to make us a completely automatic list....

 Yours faithfully,

 Abigail