}i...and a reply to Steve's other query, about role doubling. The clearest
example I know is in the Coventry Shearmen and Tailors' play, where the
Shepherds must double the Mothers of the Innocents: both groups are an
alto-tenor-bass singing group (yes, really!), and it's unthinkable that
the guild would employ two such groups.  The shepherds have about 30
minutes, I reckon, to change roles.  See my essay in Marianne Briscoe
and John Coldewey, eds., Contexts for Early English Drama (Indiana UP,
1989).  If you want to know the technical details (I bet you don't,
though!), see _Music Analysis_ 3/2 (July 1984), pp. 181-99, and especially
193-4.  I've published both pieces with Antico Edition (but lots of other
people have published them, too).
   On the dancing, by the way: you do know that Hugh Gillam was paid as
a dancer by the Coventry     ,Treasurer for dancing in the mid-1560s, do you?
See REED Chester 70, 74.  This had nothing to do with his performance in
the plays, though.

Regards,  Richard