Dear Peter (et al),

It sounds to me like an idea worth exploring! I don't know very much
about how hypertext works, because I've always worked in a relentless
IBM environment and been fairly focussed on REED's immediate computer
needs. However, it seems like a good idea to have links between the
records and the glossaries and between the records and the endnotes,
maybe between the records and the translations as well. But I'm not
sure what you are ultimately envisioning: is it as a sort of research
supplement to the published volumes or some kind of stand-alone electronic
publication? Because the latter gets into all kinds of other issues
around coding and readers' needs which is quite complicated to say the least!

One thing that occurs to me is, how in the electronic form, would you
preserve the information we now express typographically? That is, how
would you represent italics, superscripts, etc? Would it be
necessary to do so if what we are talking about is a hypercard stack
based on a published edition since then the user could always refer
back to that print book for the minutiae of the text?

These are just my own ideas and don't of course represent the
Executive's ideas on the subject (not, I think, that they have ever
discussed it!). I don't think we have any Exec members on this list,
tho'....

Abigail