I think that REED as hypertext is a fantastic idea, but it's also a
very major project, and not one to be carried out under any of the
desktop systems, such as HyperCard or Toolbook.

You should think about mounting it online and working with a dynamic
linking system which can be augmented as time goes on. Eventually,
it should be open to the scholarly community via the INTERNET, eitehr
by subscription or through sponsorship by some eleomosynary outfit.

This means that whoever undertakes to make HyperREED needs to become
involved with the TEI and it's exploration of how to specify links
in SGML markup.  SGML would also take care of specifying the typo-
graphical features which Abigail has mentioned.

BUT REED online in SGML would mean that someone would have to provide
SGML clients for our systems (like GOPHER and ARCHIE clients) to
interpret the data and feed it into our local interfaces.

Alternatively, you might think of mounting it as part of the LABYRINTH
online web for Medievalists.  This might indeed offer enough
hypertextuality at a much lower cost of resources so that it would be
the ideal way to procede.

As a first step, the REED materials need all to be made available in
electronic form.  To what degree do they now exist as e-texts?

--Pat