"Patrick W. Conner" <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I think that REED as hypertext is a fantastic idea, but it's also a
>very major project, and not one to be carried out under any of the
>desktop systems, such as HyperCard or Toolbook.
>BUT REED online in SGML would mean that someone would have to provide
>SGML clients for our systems (like GOPHER and ARCHIE clients) to
>interpret the data and feed it into our local interfaces.
Someone has done this already, and like all good things on Internet,
it's free.  (No it's not Windows NT.)

Worldwide Web (WWW) is an SGML Intenet-wide distributed hypertext system,
interfaces to Gopher (and I think also to WAIS) are already existing.
For more information you might want to ftp to info.cern.ch and have a
look on the files in /pub/www, especially the postscript docs there.

>Alternatively, you might think of mounting it as part of the LABYRINTH
>online web for Medievalists.  This might indeed offer enough
>hypertextuality at a much lower cost of resources so that it would be
>the ideal way to procede.
Can you give more pointers into this Labyrinth?  Sounds interesting ...

>As a first step, the REED materials need all to be made available in
>electronic form.  To what degree do they now exist as e-texts?
Just put it on a server and someone will turn it into hypertext,
www, gopher, wais and you-name-it :))

+gg

--
Gerhard Gonter   + CC/Univ. Economics, Vienna +  <[log in to unmask]>
Tel: +43/1/31336/4111     Fax: .../702     <[log in to unmask]>