On 06/01/93 at 14:47:29 Hoyt N. Duggan said:
>The problem with "quick and dirty" is that it will be around a
>long time and will serve as an excuse not to do it right.
>Dug Duggan

I think Dug's right, but I also think that something might be done.
Contemplate a tool that's needed right now, one that might be an
excellent companion to the hard copy REED.  And build a stack to
implement that.  I'd suggest that you look at Michael Best's "The
Life and Times of Shakespeare," (Intellimation), and see how much
information he's packed into a stack which accompanies any hard copy
edition of the plays.  Maybe a tool which includes summaries of
the kinds of records involved (I don't want to tell you how recently
I learned what fabric rolls were), the graphics and visual stuff
that must exist, but isn't in the vols., all kinds of indices, etc.
Such a tool might not only be useful, something to be kept on
REED-L's server, and a general all-around blessing, but it might
help us to think about how to begin to organize the hypertext
version of the thing, if anyone's interested in the big project.

--Pat