Thanks, Pat, for articulating much better than I what I had in mind at
this stage--not to make something ugly available widely, or to have it
take the place of doing the job right.  Instead, a small-scale "pilot"
or "demonstration" version of REED on hypertext would focus discussion
on what sort of material and what kind of links the eventual "slow and
clean" version would include.  Info on fabric rolls, etc. is certainly
possible, and its this sort of suggestion that might best come from
those outside the cadre of REED editors.  How do people actually use
the current volumes?  Do you go first to the introduction?  the index?
records for a particular place or date? (I've used all these
approaches for different projects, but I'm sure there are others.)
How can that process be made at least equally as easy in hypertext?
Hypertext can make simpler and more intuitive processes of using the
edited records we all now do by using the index and flipping pages,
but are there additional ways that hypertext can improve on the
printed volumes?

Peter