> Thanks, Pat, for articulating much better than I what I had in mind at
> this stage--not to make something ugly available widely, or to have it
> take the place of doing the job right.  Instead, a small-scale "pilot"
> or "demonstration" version of REED on hypertext would focus discussion
> on what sort of material and what kind of links the eventual "slow and
> clean" version would include.  Info on fabric rolls, etc. is certainly
> possible, and its this sort of suggestion that might best come from
> those outside the cadre of REED editors.  How do people actually use
> the current volumes?  Do you go first to the introduction?  the index?
> records for a particular place or date? (I've used all these
> approaches for different projects, but I'm sure there are others.)
> How can that process be made at least equally as easy in hypertext?
> Hypertext can make simpler and more intuitive processes of using the
> edited records we all now do by using the index and flipping pages,
> but are there additional ways that hypertext can improve on the
> printed volumes?
>
> Peter

Dear Peter

I like to read REED volumes through from start to finish so that probably puts
me in the category of people who do not eat the heads off Jelly Babies first.
My M.A. student uses them all via Index for references to inns and taverns, but
I assume a major use of hypertext would be the concatenation of information
from different volumes.  By the way, this reply does not constitute an offer
to do anything!  Hope all is well with you.

Best wishes
John