Greetings!

I am a third-year grad student at Penn working with English morality plays
from _The Pride of Life_ to Udall's _Respublica_ (for a summer independent
reading course).  In a review of scholarship on the genre published in
1991, David Bevington has wondered aloud (and I apologize for not having
the exact reference at hand) why contemporary theoretical and critical
approaches such as Marxism, cultural materialism, gender studies/feminism,
etc., have yet to be applied (in significant number) to the moralities.
One of my goals in this course is to work toward such applications (with
conferences and publication off in the misty--and starry-eyed--future); a
brief search of the MLA CD-ROM for 1981-1993 has confirmed Bevington's
observation.  Is anyone on either of these lists (this message is
cross-posted to REED-L and PERFORM) currently engaged in such work?  Can
anyone direct me to published instances of such work?  Right now I feel
like I am having to start from scratch!  Considering all the exciting work
currently treating the cycle plays, surely the moralities have not been
left out.  Thank you all in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Rob Barrett

--
Robert W. Barrett, Jr.
Department of English