                  MRDS SESSIONS: KALAMAZOO 1994

You will have noticed from the Kalamazoo call for papers that we
have been allowed the three sessions that we requested. We are
grateful to Otto Grundler and Cliff Davidson for their efforts on
our behalf.

In 1994, we are honouring two senior scholars in the field who have
died recently. Two of the sessions at Kalamazoo will be in memory
of Arnold Williams and one will be in honour of Arthur Cawley. A
second session honouring Professor Cawley will be held at the MLA
session in San Diego. We learned after our meeting in May that
Marty Stevens, who is anxious to be part of a session focussing on
Cawley's interest in the Towneley MS, cannot be at Kalamazoo, 1994.
As a result, I have agreed to organize the memorial session in
Kalamazoo. As you can see from the title given below it is more
open-ended than the San Diego session. I would particularly welcome
submissions from former students and colleagues of Professor
Cawley. We hope that colleagues working in European drama will
submit abstracts for the Williams' sessions.

The Call for Papers gave only Larry Clopper's name. We agreed at
our meetings that John Coldewey and Barbara Palmer would organize
the sessions in honour of Professor Williams. Submissions should be
sent to the three organizers by September 15, 1994.

              A Session in Honour of Arthur Cawley

"Arthur Cawley and the study of early English drama". Abstracts
should be sent to Alexandra F. Johnston, Records of Early English
Drama, 150 Charles St. W., Toronto M5S 1K9
(E-mail [log in to unmask]

            Two Sessions in Honour of Arnold Williams

"Between the Acts (lies the Shadow): Culturally Mediating
Characters in Early Drama." Abstracts should be sent to John
Coldewey, Dept of English, University of Washington, Seattle,
Washington 98195 (E-Mail [log in to unmask])

"Hear, see, speak no Evil: Dark Characters and Characterization in
Early Drama" Abstracts should be sent to Barbara Palmer, English
Department, Chatham College, Pittsburgh, PA 15232-2814 (E-Mail

Alexandra F. Johnston,
President,
 MRDS