Steve,

A note of correction and some information, which I hope is of some help.
Neither Hanswurst nor Pickelhaering turn up until the late sixteenth
century and really not often until the seventeenth in German and Austrian
comic literature. There are many fools in the shrovetide plays--a
tradition which found its end by the end of the sixteenth century--but
none of them bear these names. Both Hanswurst and Pickelhaering do turn up
in the seventeenth century, however, in popular comic entertainments.
Hanswurst appears in a lot of Nachspiele performed in this period and into
the 18th century (until Gottsched campaigned for the abandonement of this
tradition). Pickelhaering seems less common.

There is an interesting confluence of the traditions of travelling English
comedians and commedia dell'arte in German comic theater of this time, and
Hanswurst and Pickehaering are at the center of it. Check out Andreas
Gryphius' "Peter Squentz oder Absurda Comica" for the an interesting use
of Pickelhaering as well as a spoof of these traditions.

If you're interested, you might also check Goethe's Hanswurst scene in Act
1 of Faust 2 (Kaiserliche Pfalz). Goethe also wrote a short piece entitled
Hanswurst's Hochzeit (or something like that). And Reclam, I believe, has
an edition of Hanswurstiaden out, though I'm not sure of the editor or
exact title. If I come across it, I'll post it.

Best of Luck
James Erb