Hello, Everyone:

It's a pleasure to be a participant in this group; hopefully we will all
benefit from the exchange of information and ideas.

I am an electronic engineer, involved with design of implantable medical
devices, and live in the Portland, Oregon area.

My father, Alex, is 88, widowed, and was diagnosed with PD (is that an
appropriate abbreviation ?) about 5 years ago. That is compounded by
chronic low back pain caused by a degree of spinal deterioration, and (as
others have commented) it is difficult to assign symptoms to one or the
other.  In any event, his mobility is gradually decreasing, and at present
it is a challenge for him to get out of bed for meals, etc., but he does
so.

A greater problem has been a tendency for him to become faint upon
exertion, and to become dizzy upon sitting up or standing. The medical term
for this is orthostatic hypotension ... low blood pressure related to
change of physical position ... and is apparently not uncommon with PD
patients. This has become more evident in my dad's situation during the
past few months. In a few instances it has caused him to fall, but
fortunately no injuries have resulted.  I recently learned (from prowling
the network libraries) that in such instances the use of B-complex vitamin
supplements can be of benefit. So about a week ago I started him on a
Schiff product called "B Complex 50" which contains  the following:
B1:50mg, B2:50mg, B6:50mg, Niacinamide:50mg, Pantothenic acid:50mg,
B12:50mcg, and Folic acid:400mcg.  He is taking one tablet daily, and there
has been a definite improvement ... less tendency to become dizzy and/or to
faint.

For the PD symptoms he takes the following:
Sinemet 25/100 twice daily, Eldepryl 5mg twice daily.

For the chronic back pain, he takes: Relafen 500mg twice daily.

And he receives a monthly injection of Depo-Lupron for hormonal control of
prostate cancer; this seems to be very effective. (PSA = zero)

Dad has been a creative commercial artist for more than 50 years, and is
well known for his WWII-era cover art for Marvel comicbooks and for his
many science-fiction magazine covers and illustrations ... he has a fine
imagination and a good sense of humor, and each helps him to deal with the
encroachment of his illness ... but we now occasionally hear the question
"Why can't I just die ?"  To which I usually mumble something about the end
coming for each of us, but in its own time. (suggestions here would be
really welcome ... )  I sense that he is feeling increasingly trapped in
his aging body ... wanting to get back to living in his own house over the
hill ... but knowing that he couldn't truly handle the effort involved.

Probably some of you are having similar experiences ... our situation is
tolerable for the moment, but could change in a split second, and there is
no way to _totally_ guard against the unexpected.  Its a matter of
balancing each patient's freedom versus risk, and my vote tends to be on
the side of freedom.

I presume that our "group" operating mode will be to exchange thoughts by
posting to the list so that all may share in them ... but if a particularly
sensitive point arises, normal email would be fine.

Regards,

Dick Schomburg
via Internet:   [log in to unmask]
via CompuServe: 73340,2533

(Note: A comma is required in my direct CompuServe address, but periods are
used in the Internet format.)