Yes, we, too, hear our 87-year-old mother saying "Why can't I just die?"  She
has been saying that for the past year or more, especially after relocating to
her present home in a retirement community.  Although, we had many emotions
regarding this move, we thought it was the right thing to do.  Now that she has
been diagnosed with PD, it seems even more right for her to be in a personal
care environment where the staff are monitoring her daily.

It is difficult to figure out if one might have the wish to die because of
one's life space being reduced, one's spouse being dead, or one's body being
ravaged.  It seems likely that all three could be causative.  On the other
hand, I see many people in my work as a professor of nursing that have severe
limitations because of a chronic disease.  Each person with chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease cannot help but think of his/her body when taking each
breath.  I am not aware of their voicing wishes to die so often.

When our mother says that to me I always say in return that we don't want her
to die.  Last time she said "I know you don't want it".  It does make one
uncomfortable when hearing this said.

This way of communicating is wonderful I think.  I wonder if people with PD
would benefit themselves by communicating with each other this way.  My mother
would not be able to type any more as she has such little strength in her
hands.