Hi, I'm Cathy.  As a nurse I've experienced the issue of death and dying
many times both with patients and with family members.  I just want to say
I agree that communication is vital.  I remember an elderly woman who was
hospitalized and was really quite healthy overall.  She said to me that
she was ready to die but that her family refused to let her discuss it.  I
spoke with her for a while mostly letting her air her fellings.  I left the
room feeling sad for her to be so ready and yet so healthy.  To my shock,
the lady died that very night.  I will always believe that what she needed
was for somebody to say "it's ok."

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not Jack Kavorkian, I just believe very
strongly in the concept of death with dignity.  I expect no one can truly
understand the mysteries of death and dying until his/her own time.

Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Cathy L. Bishop, RN BSN          _,,_''  CBishop@tulsajc
3727 E. Apache, Room 1452        lxxl    Fax: (918) 631-7598
Tulsa, OK  74115-3151    ___     l_ol    Pam Tyler, Secretary
(918) 631-7570       l--l___>---.