From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Support for emotional problems of Parkinson's Disease

MaryVass, In response to your message regarding your mother's emotional
problems and her diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease, I can share that my mother,
87 years, also has exhibited strong emotional responses.  Because she
experienced a variety of life changes at the same time (spouse's death three
years earlier, selling of home, moving to retirement facility), her emotional
symptoms and physical symptoms of shakiness were thought to be reactions to
these events.  Even when the diagnosis of Parkinson's was made, the neurologist
said the symptoms were mild.

I suggested that my Mother join support groups within her church to deal with
the loss of my Father; however, she declined.  In many ways she exhibits the
disengagement theory of aging, pulling away from most people.

I believe many well qualified physicians do not deal easily with emotional
problems in their patients.  We expect physicians to be perfect and are angry
when they do not address all facets of a person's particular predicament.

Actually, I believe hearing of others' problems could be depressing.  It
probably depends on how the group develops and who takes responsibility for its
growth.  Groups take on personalities and grow and change over time.

I have the good fortune of having two maiden aunts in their early nineties who
are both legally blind and who live together in the wintry country of the
Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts.  I have known them all my life and keep
in touch by phone and occasional visits.  It has been interesting to hear them
describe their activites, their support of each other, the support of others
for them, and their social lives which have great meaning.  I believe what
keeps them going is the fact that they still live in their home, yet, have the
resources and social groups that give them something to look forward to:
church socials, Daughters of the American Revolution activities, garden club
activities, eating holiday dinners with friends at restaurants, etc.  As the
years pass these activities depend more on commercial eating places instead of
gatherings at each others homes.

They await an opening in the same retirement facility where my Mother resides,
yet I know they do not want to go there.  When they are down physically and
have to be hospitalized (both did within the past year) they are ready to
accept relocation and reduced life space.  To make a conscious decision to go
when they are not down is very difficult for them.

Perhaps friends one has known for many years are the best source of emotional
support.  Friends often are more tolerant of one's diminishing capacities than
family members.  I believe it is the exceptional family who can manage two
generations in the same household.  Yet, as physical capacity wanes, one wants
one's family there.  This poses problems for children who have careers.  Can
elder children work and caretake, too?  Seventy-year-olds caring for
ninety-year-olds is no longer unusual.  If the seventy-year-olds become ill,
then who cares for the ninety-year-olds?

A single person can take care of an infant 24-hours a day.  It usually takes at
least three persons to care for an elder 24-hours a day.

This is more philosophy than help.  Maybe through this list philosophy can be
turned into practicality.