I was diagnosed last year as having parkinson's (one of several 'young
parkinson's' recently diagnosed in our area).  I didn't know anyone who
had it and didn't know much about it so I did a lot of reading.  One of
the faculty for whom I work said only read books published recently as
treatment has improved recently.  She was right...I read one of the older
books first and really scared myself.  I don't recommend doing that.

The Parkinson Foundation of Canada, 230 - 55 Bloor Street West, Toronto,
Ontario  M4W 1A5 (416) 964-1155 or (416) 964-7505 (fax) sent me the
following list of books and pamphlets.  I found 'Living Well with
Parkinson's' the most useful.

Parkinson's Disease - A Guide for Patient and Family by Dr. Roger C.
Duvoisin, 1991.  Publisher:  Raven Press, 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New
York, New York  10036.

Parkinson's - A Patient's View, by Sidney Dorros, 1989.  Publisher:  Seven
Locks Press, Inc., P. O. Box 72, Cabin John, Md.  20818.

Caring for the Parkinson Patient, A Practical Guide, edited by J. Thomas
Hutton, MD, PhD and Raye Lynne Dipple, PhD, 1989.  Publishers:  Prometheus
Books, 700 East Amherst Street, Buffalo, New York  14215.

Parkinson's Disease - What Now?, by Susan Calne, 1991.  Publisher:
University Hospital, University of British Columbia, 2211 Westbrook Mall,
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2B5

"Home Exercises" - A Thirty Minute VHS Video Tape by and for
Parkinsonians.  The Parkinson Foundation of Canada.

Parkinson's Disease - One Step at a Time:  Problems and Answers for
Patients and Health Professionals, by Grimes, Gray, Grimes, 1989.
Publishers:  Parkinson's Society of Ottawa-Carlton, Ottawa Civic Hospital,
1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario  K1Y 4E9

Living Well with Parkinson's - An Inspirational, Informative Guide for
Parkinsonians and Their Loved Ones, by Atwood & Hunnewell, 1991.
Publisher:  John Wiley & Sons, inc., 605 Third Avenue, New York, NY  10158.

The Parkinson's Challenge - A Beginner's Guide to a Good Life in the Slow
Lane, by Jan Peter Stern, July, 1991.  Publisher:  DMS Publishers, P.O.
Box #1817, Santa Monica, CA  90406

Hope some of these help.