The message from A.M. Mamoon sounds like a case of undiagnosed Parkinson's
to me, too, but only a neurologist can make a competent diagnosis. However,
I would like to share some info from a PD book which each of our support
group members received: Parkinson's Disease: A guide for Patient and Family
by Roger C. Duvoision, M. D. (3rd Ed., 1991: New York, Raven Press Ltd.)

This is an excellent text which is very readable. It sounds like the father
from Asia shuffling is Festination, defined as "Walking in rapid, short,
shuffling steps (from Latin FESTINARE, to hasten). (Quoted from the glossary
on page 195.) I understand from my other readings that festination is the
person's way of compensating for a walking deficiency.

The father's bending backward is another PD characteristic called retro-
pulsion, defined as "..Involuntarary steppping backward; the reverse of
propulsion" (page 197). Propulsion may be another problem the father is
exhibiting. It is defined as ..."Disturbance of gait typical of par-
kinsonism in which the patient, during walking, steps faster and faster
with progressively shorter and shorter steps and passes from a walking
to a running pace and may fall forward." (page 197).  His moving from
side to side could be a type of tremor, even though it may have a
rocking or swaying character.

I think the short term memory with intact long term memory syndorme
is another typical problem with PD and other neurological problems,
but I am not sure where I read this in my research. The doctor who
prescribed medication for vertigo may not be a neurologist who is
experienced with PD patients. Sometimes some of those who are
knowledagable do not catch the PD in its early stages, and it can
take a year or more to get a firm diagnosis. However, the father's
symptoms sound typical, and a qualified neurologist would know whether
to treat  the man with antiparkinsonan medications such as Sinamet and/or
Eldepryl. Of course there are other illnesses that could be affecting
a person of this age. That is why it is critical to seek competent
medical attention , as Barbara suggests. PD is a serious but not
necessarily life-threatening disease. Immediate intervention can
help a situation that otherwise could deteriorate quickly. Linda Husvar.

exhibiting. It is defined as..."Disturbance of gait typical of parkinsonsim i