I read the following book review in the Parkinson's Newsletter of the
Delmarva Chapter,  American Parkinson's Disease Association, Salisbury,
Maryland, U.S.A. Since it reviews a book that I found extremely interesting
and valuable, I wanted to reproduce it here for the information of anyone who
hasn't heard of it. I hope that the reproduction of the review doesn't
violate anyone's copywrite. I am not reproducing it for any personal gain,
just to be helpful to others with or interested in Parkinson's Disease."

(Quote) PARKINSON'S DISEASE: THE MYSTERY, THE SEARCH AND THE PROMISE BY SUE
DAUPHIN.
         (A Book Review)

Parkinson's Disease: the Mystery, the Search and the Promise is a
professionally done history of Parkinson's disease and its medical treatment
and research to the end of 1992. The scholorship is evident.

She has written about fine arts for many years and has written and produced
medical videos for the medical profession. This is her second book on a
particular disease. Sjogren's Syndrome: the Sneaky Arthritis was her first.

The writing is not emotianal. It is a factual and dispassionate history of
progress in medicine's battle against the disease. Ms. Dauphin puts none of
herself or her experiences into the book although she is a support person.

I have an academic background and appreciate the quality of the content and
the quality of the writing. I was pleasantly surprised to find my wife's
Uncle Lichty (Arthur Lichtenberger, former presiding bishop of the Episcopal
Church) mentioned by name as a notable patient. The November Parkinson's
Newsletter was a memorial to him and to his widow, Florence, who died in
November.

For the average reader, the book is not very exciting unless there is a
special interest. I highly commend Parkinson's Disease: the Mystery, the
Search and the Promise to that special audience interesed in the history of
and the medical research connected to Parkinson's disease.

The large print 237 page late 1992 softcover book is available on order from
any regular book "trade" source or from the publisher, Pixel Press, Dept. B,
P.O. Box 3151, Tequesta, Florida 33469. The price is $16.95. I borrowed my
copy from the Pocomoke City Public Library. It is available on interlibrary
loan from any Maryland Eastern Shore Public Library. (End Quote)

If you are interested in this aspect of PD. you should read this book. Good
reading!

Jerry Gleason    ([log in to unmask])