   Recently, my neurologist expressed some puzzlement about some of
the complaints that I was reporting to her. She suggested that I see
my internist for a general physical examination. He found a cancer on
my colon. Whether that was the cause of the non-Parkinsonian
complaints is still not clear.
   The surgeon who operated is certain that they removed all of the
malignancy. There has been no suggestion that I should have radiation
treatments or chemotherapy. Here's hoping that he is right. There was
a complication; about a week after the surgery, they found that the
resection was leaking, and they operated again to repair it. Having
two major surgeries in nine days is no fun. The second time, they
also installed an eliostomy (bag) "to give my colon a rest while it
healed". That means that I will have to go back again to have
everything fastened together properly.
   For about two weeks, I took practically nothing by mouth. My
digestive system was not operating. I was nourished intravenously.
But the anesthesiologist said that they could not give me Sinemet and
Parlodel (and Tapazole for hyperthyroidism) intravenously. Their
solution was to have me take them orally with a tiny paper cup of
water. When this went into my inoperative stomach, I hiccupped,
coughed, and retched, and I felt generally miserable, and my
incisions hurt. My memory is sketchy, but I think it was after the
second surgery, I simply refused to take the pills.
   Fortunately, I am a mild Parkinsonian, and this didn't bother me
too much. The real trouble came when they figured out a way to give
it to me whether I liked it or not. I had a tube through my nose down
into my stomach, for some other reason, and they decided simply to
grind up my Sinemet and mix it with a little water, and pump it down
the gastronasal tube into my stomach. I warned them that they
shouldn't put me back on the full dosage all at once -- but they did!
Then I began to fantacize and hallucinate, and I continually demanded
that they call my neurologist, which they didn't!
   My wife had called my neurologist's office to cancel an
appointment, and specifically left a message to the neurologist that
I was going into the hospital for surgery -- but that message was not
delivered to her personally. It happened that she was in the hospital
and saw my name on a list. She demanded to know why her patient was
in the hospital. She came to my room, and she negotiated a reduction
in my drugs, which put me back on track.
   My concern is that I will have to go back for another surgery and
I would like to avoid all this trouble next time. Is there really no
way to feed Sinemet and Parlodel intravenously? Certainly there are
other Parkinsonians who need surgery sometimes. Many are in much more
need of heavier doses of drugs than I use. From what I have read, I
hardly think it would be possible for some to be deprived of their
drugs and to undergo surgery.
   If anyone has any knowledge of how to deal with this problem, I
would appreciate knowing about it.

 * SLMR 2.1a * McLean Virginia USA  Tue 12-21-93 11:49 pm
 * KMail 2.96  - The Idea Link -