.

Hi!
I think it's about time to introduce myself. My name is Margret Mueller
(<2> of a  'group of seven' from Toronto, Canada), and  diagnosed with PD
in 1986 at the age of 48.  I joined "Parkinsn" a couple of weeks ago and
find it an extremely interesting forum. So far I have been a silent
member... for a number of reasons.  One of them is that writing, let's say,
is not one of my favorite pastimes, never has been; to the dismay of my
"long distance" relatives and friends who would like  a letter once in a
while.  I only wish I had  Bob Newbrough's gift of the pen. Bob, I do
admire your contributions.
Another reason is that I am new to BBSing, slowly testing unfamiliar
grounds to find my way through this electronic maze.  My Mac computer is
also a relatively new "toy", obtained less than two years ago, at which
point I had not a clue about computers, software, hardware, modems etc.
Joining a Mac club was of tremendous help in teaching myself.   During the
last 2 to 3 years I have begun  to really feel the impact of PD with it's
disabling symptoms.  The last shock was caused by introducing PERMAX to my
'diet' of Sinemet CR.  (Over the years my neurologist had tried various
other combinations, all of which seemed to work well for a while and then
...as if I became immune to the medication).  But PERMAX -seemingly working
so well for some- caused havoc with system; nothing seemed to work anymore,
I couldn't sleep because of tremor and diskinesia  and consequent pain,
mostly in my arms.  And increasingly I became oversensitive to food*.  I
felt like going insane and was only too glad that my husband was around at
all times  (ironically he had lost his job a little over a year ago due to
the recession).  Now, four months after PERMAX, I am beginning to get hold
of myself again.  The introduction of "Liquid Sinemet", actually Sinemet
(blue, 100/10mg) crushed and  dissolved in water with Vitamin C, did the
trick (a bit of a nuisance, though, because you have to drink it every
hour) plus a self enforced  strict vegetarian diet.  But it worked, and
Sinemet CR  is working again as well.  Next on the agenda: possibly an
operation, Palidotomy.  Not sure if I spelled it correctly.  A 'fact
finding' appointment with the neurosurgeon has been set for Jan. 24.  Has
anybody got any experience with this procedure?
Margret  ( [log in to unmask])

P.S. The subject of food, or rather protein (meat versus vegetable) and
their influence on PD medication is something I would like to bring up for
comments at some time.

Hope I didn't bore anyone with the  above.
MM( [log in to unmask])