Friends,

It's time to introduce myself.  I am Alvis Clegg, aged 63, a retired
communications engineer from CIA (20 yrs.) and NC State Univ. (9 yrs.).
I have been totally retired for three years, during which time my wife
and I have been engaged in genealogical research on her family.  I have
been reading from the PARKINSN database for about two weeks and am
impressed by the information exchanged and the openness with which it is
communicated.

I have a half-brother, aged 74, who was diagnosed with PD about 12 years
ago.  Shortly after his diagnosis, he told me that there were many cases
of PD in the rural area where we attended public school.  Initially, I
attributed this to increased awareness; but in recent years, reading
obituaries, and talking with old schoolmates, I too believe the PD
incidence around our old school far exceeds the national norm.

I have copied the entire PARKINSN database and passed it along to my
half-brother.  I wonder if PD is more prevalent in rural than urban
areas?  Country-folk know their neighborhoods  better, are more concerned
about their neighbors, and communicate with one another more and better
than city-folk.   This I know:  I've experienced both.

If, as many postings imply, Parkinson's is the result of an environmental
condition/s, has any national Parkinson's organization prepared a
questionnaire which seeks to determine what these conditions might be,
especially where there seems to be a cluster of PD?  If so, wouldn't this
be a good forum in which to work on it?  I would like to hear your
views.  Thanks.

Alvis Clegg
Internet address:   [log in to unmask]