>Tonight on the local news, there was a report on pd research (sorry, I
>missed the who/where part).  63 'young' parkinsonians were involved.  The
>results indicate that people who are diagnosed with pd at a relatively
>young age live in rural areas..exposure to pesticides, etc. and are
>non-smokers.  I have pd, have always lived in the same town (pop. 25,000)
>and smoke A LOT.  Am I the exception?  Do others on the list with pd meet
>the criteria?  Have the health care professionals on the list found this
>to be true?

>Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
>HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
>                        School of Nursing

This is not new data but has been compiled from a number of studies
including those of Dr. Ali Rajput (in Saskatchewan) and a number of other
researchers in the states who discovered similar findings.  Remember that
these findings reflect tendencies and not absolutes.  i.e. although there
are relatively more PD patients in rural areas, PD is still common in
urban areas -----likewise with smoking.   Some of the claims have been
quite controversial and some studies that followed seemed to refute
initial claims.  The  idea that the suspected increase in PD in the rural
population is only a theory and has never been proven.